Successful Entrepreneur – Do You Have What It Takes?
Can anyone be a successful entrepreneur and develop an entrepreneur mindset?
And if so, how long does it take?
If I’d (Fiona) been asked the first question back in 2009 when I was a Group Financial Controller scrambling up the corporate ladder in my power suits and high heels, I probably would’ve have answered a profound ‘No, don’t be daft’!
But now, in 2012, we've established a successful online business, and we've written a book about the roller coaster of our trials and tribulations, our answer is a definite Yes.
So, how long does it take, you may ask?
Roughly six inches.
And we're not referring to the length of a piece of string. What we're talking about is the distance between your ears!
It is possible to be a successful entrepreneur and develop an entrepreneurial mindset for achieving success, if you change the way you think.
As Napoleon Hill, author of ‘Think and Grow Rich’ once said:
“Whatever the mind can conceive and believe, it can achieve”.
We've both completed university degrees and then found gainful employment, working hard for someone else, because that’s what our parents, our school teachers, our university lecturers, and society in general, had educated and expected us to do. But in setting up our own business to each become a successful entrepreneur, we knew we had to ditch that way of thinking and conditioning.
Changing the way you think takes time, and takes longer the older you are simply because there’s more conditioning or ‘programming’ to undo.
It’s similar to installing a new operating system on a laptop – the more change and adaption is required if the old model was say 10 years old.
How can you change your thinking to become a successful entrepreneur?
1. Be happy to make mistakes – if you learn from them you’re one step closer to doing things the right way
2. Always think positively about money, that it’s abundant, and it flows easily to you
3. Always take responsibility for your own actions simply because there is no one else to blame
4. Set goals and aspirations that are big and compelling and inspiring so that your problems dissolve into insignificance in comparison
5. Listen to your own self chatter, and when it’s negative or limiting, say to yourself: “quiet for the moment, I’ll ask for your opinion when I’m ready for it!”
6. Surround yourself with positive forward thinking people – preferably those who are earning what you aspire to earn
7. Be patient – as all good things take time and practice
8. Learning to stay focused is critical. F.O.C.U.S. = Follow One Course Until Success
9. Work out what your show stopping excuses are, or your most expensive words. Words like procrastination, or “I’m too tired to do that right now”, or “I’ve done enough today already”
10. Tackle the hard or tricky tasks first each day, then the rest of your day will be easier
11. Keep your eyes constantly peeled for opportunity as it’s literally around every corner
12. Take action today – the time will never be just right
Finally, consider this quote from Henry Ford of Ford Motor Company:
“Whether you think you can or you can’t, you’re right!”
We have a lot more tips and content on how to become a successful entrepreneur in our book Living A Laptop Lifestyle, which is available on Amazon and on Kindle and Audible.
Chat To Us: Find A Time When You're Free
If you like this post, SHARE IT using the buttons on the left.