We visited the Hudson River Valley in upstate New York during fall, and saw many flocks of Canadian geese heading south for winter. Which lead us to surfing a bit, to find out more . . . about geese. Bear with us for a minute, it’s an interesting point we’re about to make.
Have you ever seen a flock of birds fly in a ‘V’ formation and wonder why they do that? Why do they have such great team work?
Well, here’s 5 interesting facts:
- The V formation greatly boosts the energy, efficiency and flying range of geese. As each goose flaps its wings it creates “uplift” for the birds that follow it, increasing their flying range by 71% more than if each bird flew alone.
- The V formation aids communication and coordination within the flock and allows the birds to maintain visual contact with each other. Fighter pilots often use this formation for the same reason.
- When a goose falls out of formation, it suddenly feels the drag and resistance of flying alone, so it quickly moves back into formation to take advantage of the lifting power of the bird immediately in front of it.
- When the lead goose tires, it rotates back into formation and another goose flies to the point position. This rotation is timely and cyclical to spread the flight equally amongst the flock.
- The geese flying in formation HONK to encourage those up front to keep up their speed.
- When a goose gets sick or wounded, two geese drop out of formation and follow it to help and protect it. They stay with it until it dies or is able to fly again. Then, they launch out with another ‘V’ formation or catch up with the flock.
That’s all very interesting, you might be thinking, but what does it mean to me?
Well, we can learn a lot from these geese particularly in relation to online business.
How does team work help?
If you share a common direction and sense of community you can get where you are going quicker and easier because you are travelling on the thrust of one another.
Who is on your team working with you?
If you have as much sense as a goose, you’ll stay in formation with those headed where you want to go. You need to be willing to take your turn and give help as well as accept it though.
Do you have the right team workers?
It pays to take turns doing the hard tasks and sharing leadership. As with geese, you are interdependent on other's skills, capabilities, unique arrangements of gifts, talents and resources.
How do you connect via team work?
Are you honking enough? Make sure your honking is encouraging. Be careful what you say when ‘honking’ from behind.
Are you surrounded by solid friends?
If we have as much sense as geese, we will stand by each other in difficult times as well as when we are strong. Protect one another and sometimes make new friends who seem to be going in our direction
Team work is a dynamic form of leverage. Avoid using it, and you’ll end up working four times as hard with little result. Use it and watch the results expand exponentially! That’s why we’ve built a solid online business with Six Figure Mentors, and would recommend that you do the same.
Chat To Us: Find A Time When You're Free
If you like this post, SHARE IT using the buttons on the left.
Discover Practical Methods To Earn A Living Online And Enjoy A Laptop Lifestyle
Free On Demand Training Workshops